Monday, December 8, 2014

IceFishing Report, 12-6-2014

I got out icefishing locally on November 22, which is pretty early for this area!  We had  safe 4" of ice for a couple of days.   I didn't have any live bait, so I just tried a variety of icejigs and small spoons tipped with plastics (some were scented, such as various Gulp! products).  I caught bass, bluegills and crappies, but it warmed up that afternoon, and I felt unsafe with the ice cracking under me, so I left.  Within a couple days after that, the ice deteriorated and completely disappeared again.



------------------------------
Fast forward to this week.  Ice started appearing again last weekend and got better over the course of the week.
I ice-fished a public pond in town on Saturday from 9:15am-1pm.  I would have like to have stayed longer, but I had other stuff to do.  The ice was 4" or better everywhere.  It was still in good shape when I left, but once again there are some warmer days in this week's forecast.  Not sure if the ice will stay good or not.

I was using a 1/16th oz Lindee Frostee spoon the entire time, tipped with a waxworm.  The waxworms made a big difference in getting the bluegills to commit, compared to tipping with plastics.

I ended up catching 35+ bluegills, 4 bass (to 13"), 3 crappies (11", 11", 10"), and 1 green sunfish.


6 comments:

  1. I had to do a double-take when I read your post title Dave. Say it isn't so...ice fishing already? From looking at those pics I'd say you went the route of making lemonade out of lemons , nice going!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jeff...it is about that time of year (here)....ice came early, then disappeared, came back, and is diminishing again. Not sure if the warm temps towards the end of this week/weekend will let the ice stay or not. Really have to monitor the ice and carefully test it before fishing it right now.
      Still...any fishing beats wishing, right? :)

      Delete
  2. I too was surprised, only being a couple hours south. We are in that kind of limbo zone down here. Where you have a thin film of ice present, though with weather projected in the 50's for a while we may have fishable water again soon. Either way man congrats, but please be careful with the changing ice back in forth. I have already lost several people I have known to accidents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Northern Colorado is promoting the ice fishing, but, the ice is not really cooperating here either. Sounds a lot like your area. Some days a little ice, others, casting to open water. Be safe, and, keep those "fishy" pictures coming..........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, it's been in the 50's here in the Ozarks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah....here too! (Almost) all the ice disappeared once again! I actually flyfished open water yesterday evening! But the forecast is changing, and we should be making ice again starting tomorrow. Rollercoaster icefishing season so far.

      Delete